Barcamp Malaysia – Day 2

coming up pretty early on barcamp malaysia – day 2. start the day by attending Silverlight Talk by Kok Chian. Never knew there was Silverlight 2. but then, more surprisingly, there will be silverlight mobile. Right now it’s works only in Windows Mobile. they’re working on Silverlight for Nokia. the advantage of silverlight is, i think, they able to do menu, component using drag and drop interaction. in flash, we have to make it ourselves, hard-coded, but there always component and sample files shared by the gurus. well, let’s just wait silverlight for phone.

after that, attending the journey of microchip startup by vyasa kandasamy. he start a company with no idea how to run it. like an idiots. ( he said that ). but what inspire me is he never stops to learn. and even the company winds up, he still kicking. in business, there’s no rejection of a proposal. it’s more like u reaching a closed door that will lead to another door. he just have 3 slides. haha. he also insist that you can’t work alone. you have to have a team. what the venture capitalist (VC)/big bosses will see in you is how much return that you can bring to their investment. it’s already enough for them if you can promise 5-10times of return. the VC also would want to see, how charismatic and how reliable you are to run a company. if they saw it the other way around, you might end up locking up in their office, doing the job that at first you taught it will benefit you, but later on it will just benefit the boss, oh, for more lower price.

imagine that if you’re not so serious, not presentable. they simply take u work. another thing is The Elevator Pitch, in less than 1 minute, do whatever thing that might secure the deal before the elevator door opens and the vc walks and there you go, you’re potential clients or customer goes. 1 minute dude.

then comes my talk. for some reason, i think i was pretty shaking. i really was. but thank god i think i made it through. peoples are happy and understand my slides. i didn’t show any single view of Flash Timeline because i know, this is not the developers meetups. it’s BarCamp Malaysia!. place to sharing ideas and if the audience not a developer, show them another thing instead.

here are my slides and my video recorded by odin. Thanks to Anne and Fiona from Adobe for supplying Adobe Acrobat notebooks that i gave during my talk.

An hour about Flash lite at Barcamp Malaysia from tekong on Vimeo.

next, having a gracious scrumptious subway sandwiches. my fourth subway. love it. after that announcement was made for Nokia Communicator. CherylGoh owns it.

after lunch, attending lightning talks. this is the super crazy talks. all people are given time to gave talk. you can talk anything. ANYTHING. Arzumy talks even using geeks. someone talks about freeculture. Ariff Azraii talks about his latest projects. mean you, he only 16 and know so much about Django, Instructables and really, i miss out many things indeed. the barcampers are really sharing their experiences.

then, the day ended, and there will be barcamp penang, melaka and jb. maybe i go to penang and jb. well maybe.

KUDOS BARCAMP MALAYSIA! oh please where’s my picture????

Jul 2008

10 Responses to : Barcamp Malaysia – Day 2

1. syia says:

lain kali nanti sure de org panggil awk jd presenter dkt Universities ni..

syia – insya-Allah. memula MMC Northern wahahah

3. lilhakym says:

tekong nazri! aku tak dpt nk joen ko nye talk weekend ritu,,sory on me=C..next time barcamp wat la dlm campus,,for sure ramai dtg,.caiyok! tekong best =P

lilhakym – for sure barcamp lagi susah nak buay dlm campus.. sbb jauh dari public transport. kena consider gak. unless mmu yg organize

5. Muhammad says:

mantap la tekong!

ko lagi mantap, masuk kg orang asli naik sampan. takut aku naik sampan bawak laptop ekeke

7. sinan says:

yo! tqs for the talk itu hari bro! respek knowledge ko dalam flashlite and tqs for sharing.. hehe.. cool la ko present.. slide nice, talk nice, lawak2 pun jadik! anywayz.. all the best!

sinan – oy! . tadehal. tapi pasal lawak tu takle blah mcm aku tak terer buat lawak je. anyway kalo aku terer pun mesti ko tak jumpe sbb aku dah jd raja lawak :p all the best utk ko gak 😀

9. Vyasa Kandasamy says:

Hi Nazri@ Tekong!
    Good to see your blog.. Glad your talk went really well, and got great response.

Meanwhile, I am glad that you found my talk helpful too.
    a few small corrections : Investors/ VCs will want around 5 to 10times returns (instead of 5-10%), and the other point – is Elevator Pitch (instead of Elevator Proposal)

by the way, is Vimeo your side? How could I get the videos you put up?

I’m also looking for someone to develop a very simple website. just text, and comments, probably like a blog, that I could update pictures and text myself – any idea? I’ve been looking around.

Again, I was very impressed seeing you there, and hope you get really good results in your venture. Please do keep in touch vyasa.gk@gmail.com . I’d love to bounce of ideas with you.

vyasa – thanks for the corrections. you can download the video here.

if let say you can’t download it, do tell me.

do you look for a blog? we can design a custom theme for you. of if you wanted a simple website with simple Content Management System, we can develop a built-to-order for you. I would be very happy to keep your ideas bouncing :)